Gluten-Free Dutch Spiced Cookies (Speculaas Cookies)
- 1 Flax egg 1 tbspn flax meal and 2 ½ tbsp water
- ½ cup 125g butter, room temperature (not melted)
- ¾ - 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups 225g PomPom Paddock Flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp *Speculaas spice mix ½ tsp ground cinnamon, ¼ tsp each of ground nutmeg, ginger and cardamom, ½ tsp ground cloves
- In a small bowl, mix the flax egg ingredients well and set aside.
- Whisk the butter and sugar together until smooth.
- Whisk in the vanilla extract and the flax egg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift all the dry ingredients.
- Add the butter and sugar mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well. It will still be a little soft. Once it's well incorporated, work the dough for about 30 seconds.
- Wrap in cling wrap or baking paper and put in the fridge for 30 minutes. Alternatively, put a plate on the bowl and put in the fridge to chill for 40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface, roll out to around 3mm-6mm thick. Imprint dough or cut to desired shape/size.
- Carefully transfer onto the lined baking tray. I use a spatula to do so.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes* until golden brown.
- Cool on tray for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.