Gluten & Dairy-Free Chocolate & Hazelnut Hot Cross Buns
- 1 tbsp dried yeast
- 1/4 cup caster sugar + 1tbsp
- 1 cup nut Milk soy, almond, coconut, oat
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup Nutlex coconut oil, vegetable oil
- 500 g + 1/4 cup PPP Cauliflower flour
- 1/2 cup hazelnut or almond meal
- 1 tbsp mixed spice + 1/4 tsp
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- zest 1 orange
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup mixed dried fruit optional
- Juice 2 Oranges
- 150 g caster sugar
- Extra Cauliflower flour for rolling.
- Warm the milk slightly then add the yeast and sugar, reserving the 1 tbsp of sugar.
- Stir to dissolve then set aside for 10-15 minutes until you see the yeast activating and bubbling.
- Meanwhile, combine all the dry ingredients, except 1/4 cup extra flour, into a bowl.
- Add the eggs, Nutlex or replacement and the milk mixture and mix.
- Knead with your hands or in a mixer for about 4 minutes.
- Cover with a damp cloth and sit somewhere warm for approx. 40 mins or until risen and doubled in size.
- Gently knock back and then place the dough onto a floured bench and divide into 9 equal pieces. Roll into balls and place onto a lined baking tray, 2cm apart. Cover the tray with a damp cloth and leave somewhere warm to rise again and double in size.
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- Meanwhile, mix the reserved 1/4 cup of flour with 1 tbsp of sugar, 1/4 tsp mixed spice and 2 tbsp water to form a thick paste. Spoon this into a small piping bag and once the buns have risen, pipe across the rows to make crosses on each.
- Bake for approx. 30 minutes until lightly coloured and spring when pressed.
- While the buns are baking, reduce the orange juice and sugar by half in a small pot. Once you remove the buns from the oven. generously brush the orange syrup all over the buns so it soaks in.
- Cool Slightly and enjoy. Store in an airtight container at room temp.