Rate this Recipe! 👇 Just click on the stars below!
- 2-3 small onions sliced, 600g total weight
- 50 g unsalted butter
- Salt pepper
- 1/3 cup PPP flour
- 250 ml milk
- 100 ml vegetable stock
- 3 large eggs separate
- ½ cup grated gruyere or cheddar cheese
- Begin by buttering and flouring 4 round cup moulds, large teacups that can go in the oven work well.
- Cook the onions in the butter over a medium with a good pinch of salt until they have dropped and are juicy and soft, about 15 – 20 minutes. They should weigh around 250g.
- Add the flour to the onions and cook out heat the milk and stock and gradually add to the onions, stirring through. Return the mix to a simmer and cook for about 2-3 minutes to thicken.
- Transfer mix to a bowl and allow to cool but still warm. Mix through the egg yolks and season with salt and pepper. You want to season a little higher as you are adding the egg whites.
- Preheat oven to 170C, in a mixer with a whisk, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until firm peaks.
- Fold the whites through the onion mix and then spoon into the moulds ¾ full then bake them in a baking tray filled with boiling water.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes then remove from the oven and carefully turn them out onto a plate to store or into a gratin dish.
- To serve, preheat oven to 200C. pour the cream over the souffles, sprinkle the cheese around the souffles and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, depending if the souffles are at room temp or from the fridge cold