Rate this Recipe! 👇 Just click on the stars below!
- 500 g fresh cherries pitted
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp PomPom Paddock flour
- 2 ½ cups PomPom Paddock flour
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- Pinch salt
- 150 g butter diced
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup ice water
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tbsp raw sugar
- For the cherry compote, place the cherries, sugar and lemon juice into a small saucepan, over a medium heat and cook stirring until the juices come out of the cherries, about 3 minutes. Mix the 2 tbsp PPP flour with 3 tbsp water and stir into the cherries. Continue to cook until the cherries have softened, and the sauce is thick and rich.
- Remove from the heat and cool.
- For the pastry, combine the flour, xanthan gum, salt and diced butter in a food processor or blender and blend to a bread crumb texture. Whisk together the egg, yolk and iced water.
- Tip the flour mix into a bowl and pour over the egg/water mix. Mix and gently knead to bring it all together then let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough in two and roll each piece, into a rectangle, between two pieces of baking paper until approx. 30cm/40cm.
- Trim the edges of each rectangle and then cut into 6 smaller rectangle pieces by cutting down the middle horizontally then make two cuts vertically.,
- Brush the top 3 pieces of pastry with some of the egg yolk then spoon over some cherry compote place a bottom piece of pastry over and use a fork to crimp and seal the edges.
- Brush the top of each pie with egg wash and make 3 small slits in the top. Sprinkle with the raw sugar and bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden and crisp.