Salted Pear, Orange Blossom and Pistachio Cake
- 1 cup caster sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 4-5 firm pears
- 100 g salted butter softened
- 1/2 cup coconut or brown sugar
- Zest 1 orange
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp orange blossom water
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup almond meal
- 2 cup PPP cauliflower flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- Pinch salt
- 1/3 cup crushed pistachio
- Extra honey to drizzle optional
- Preheat an oven to 175C. Grease and line the base and sides of a 24cm springform cake tin with baking paper.
- In a small saucepan, place the sugar and water and gently warm until the sugar dissolves then increase the heat and cook until the syrup is a light caramel colour. Pour this into the base of the cake tin then swirl around to cover the base.
- Peel, core and quarter the pears and arrange on top of the caramel, thinnest end facing the centre.
- In a mixer, cream the coconut oil, sugar and orange zest.
- Add the eggs one by one, beating after each is added then the rose water and coconut milk.
- Sift together the flour, almond meal, mixed spice, baking powder and pinch of salt then add this to the mixture and beat to just combine.
- Spoon this over the pears and bake for approx. 40 minutes or until the cake is set in the centre. Remove from the oven, allow to sit for 5 minutes then remove the sides of the tin and turn the cake onto a plate while still warm and remove the base. Serve scattered with pistachio and drizzled with extra honey if desired. Delicious with youghurt
- Serve warm or store in the fridge for up to 2 days.