Cheesy Olive, Sun-Dried Tomato & Olive Scones
We have called these scones to give them a name, but they are scone, cross muffin texture & totally delicious. Perfect to have on hand for quick snacks any time of the day, picnics, lunchboxes and on the go.
- 2 2/3 cups PomPom Paddock flour + 3 tbsp for rolling
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1.5 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp flake salt black pepper to taste
- 125 g unsalted butter frozen & grated
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- ½ cup each chopped olives and sun-dried tomato
- 1/3 cup basil roughly chopped
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 egg yolk
Preheat an oven to 180C.
In a bowl, combine the 2 2/3 cups flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt & pepper.
Add the butter and rub in with your fingers to make a rough breadcrumb texture then stir through the cheese, olive and tomatoes.
Add the basil, egg and buttermilk and mix to bring together.
Flour a bench and roll the rough into 3cm thick rectangle and carefully transfer to a piece of baking paper. Cut into 12 squares and brush with the egg yolk to glaze.
Bake for 20 minutes, until golden and cooked through. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving or cool completely and store in the fridge.